Mental Health Awareness Week 2019
13 May 2019
Mental Health Awareness Week takes place from 13-19 May 2019 and focuses on the topic of body image - how we feel and think about our bodies.
Mental health problems can affect anyone, at any time, and since the first Mental Health Awareness Week in 2001 people have raised awareness of topics like stress, relationships, loneliness, sleep, alcohol and friendships.
Last year the Mental Health Foundation found that 30% of all adults have felt so stressed by body image and appearance that they felt overwhelmed or unable to cope. That's almost 1 in every 3 people.
Body image issues can affect us all at any age and directly impact our mental health.
As part of Mental Health Awareness week, the Mental Health Foundation will be looking at:
- the results of a UK-wide survey on body image
- body issues across a lifetime - including how it affects children and young people, adults and people later in life
- highlighting how people can experience body image issues differently, including people of different ages, genders, ethnicities and sexualities
In Wirral, various charities and organisations are hosting a number of events across the week to help campaign and support for those with mental health issues. Please see below for a list of events and click here for full information on everything going on.
- Wednesday 15th May and Friday 19th May 10am-2pm at Make It Happen - Make It Happen Coffee Morning
Make It Happen is an open community hub and shop situated in the heart of Birkenhead. It is a welcoming and safe place to come and enjoy and spend time in.
- Wednesday 15th May 7-10pm at Bloom Building - "Walking on Custard and the Meaning of Life" by Neil Hughes
Neil Hughes will share his comical stance on his own experience of mental health issues. Neil gained notable exposure after appearing on TEDTalk's, and much of his time now is spent travelling internationally talking about his work and mental health journey. The event is free and refreshments will be served throughout the evening.
- Wednesday 15th and Thursday 16th May 10.30am-4pm at Birkenhead Market - The Paper Garden by Spider Project
The Spider Project will be working hard to turn an empty stall in Birkenhead Market into a giant paper garden. All are welcome to come along and join in with making the paper flowers and it is aimed at having fun, being creative and improving well-being.
- Thursday 16th May 10am-3pm at Wirral Mind - Wirral Mind Wellbeing event
Wirral Mind have a day of fantastic activities planned including hand massages, manicures, relaxation sessions, mindfulness and much more.